CRT Emudriver 2.0 - beta 12
IMPORTANT NOTE: CRT Emudriver 2.0 is not installed in the same way as older 1.x versions. Depending on your video card, please follow the appropriate guide from the ones below, in order to succeed:
- Installing CRT Emudriver 2.0 - HD 4350 (for legacy cards) - Windows 7/8/10 - super resolutions
- Installing CRT Emudriver 2.0 - HD 5450 (HD 5000+ cards) - Windows 7/8/10 - super resolutions
Windows XP users: check CRT Emudriver 1.2b
Please choose the right download for your GPU, test and report any issues:
- Download CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 12 (Catalyst 12.6) for Windows 7/8/10 64-bits
Desktop: AMD Radeon™ HD 2000, HD 3000, HD 4000, HD 5000, HD 6000, HD 7000 series
- Download CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 12 (Crimson 16.2.1 non-GCN* cards) for Windows 7/8/10 64-bits - NEW!
Desktop: AMD Radeon™ HD 5000, HD 6000 Series, HD 7000-7600, HD 8000-8400 Series
AMD Radeon™ R5 235X, R5 235, R5 230, R5 220 Series
All-in-One: AMD Radeon™ HD 6350A, HD 6600A, HD 7450A, HD 7600A Series
APU: AMD Radeon™ HD 6000D, HD 7000D, HD 8000D, HD 6000G, HD 7000G, HD 8000G Series
Mobility: AMD Radeon™ HD 5000M, HD 6000M Series
- Download CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 12 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN* cards) for Windows 7/8/10 64-bits - NEW!
Desktop: AMD Radeon™ HD 7700-7900, HD 8500-8900 Series
AMD Radeon™ R7 200, R7 300, R9 200, R9 300, R9 Nano, R9 Fury Series
APU: AMD A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R4, R5, R6, or R7 Graphics
AMD Pro A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R5 or R7 Graphics
AMD Athlon™ Series APUs with Radeon™ R3 Graphics
AMD Sempron™ Series APUs with Radeon™ R3 Graphics
AMD A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R3, R4, R5, R6, R7, or R8 Graphics
AMD Pro A-Series APUs with Radeon™ R5, R6, or R7 Graphics
AMD FX-Series APUs with Radeon™ R7 Graphics
AMD E-Series APUs with Radeon™ R2 Graphics
AMD Radeon™ HD 8180 - HD 8400 Series Graphics
Mobility: AMD Radeon™ R9 M300, R7 M300, R9 M200, R7 M200, R5 M200 Series
AMD Radeon™ HD 7700M-7900M, HD 8500M-8900M Series
- Download CRT Tools 2.0 beta 12 (VMMaker & Arcade OSD)
*GCN = Graphics Core Next
- The new drivers (Crimson 16.2.1) can only be used with GroovyMAME versions based on Switchres 0.017a and up.
- For cards supported by several versions, the most recent one is recommended.
- The standalone CRT Tools package may be used with previous versions of CRT Emudriver, both for Windows XP and Windows 7/8. Just make sure to generate a fresh video mode list using the new tools.
Version 2 history
[23/12/2017][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 12]
- [VMMaker] Added support for composite sync.
- [Emudriver] New fix to allow stable support for composite sync for legacy cards (only applies to package based on Catalyst 12.6).
[24/11/2017][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 11]
- [Emudriver] Disabled deflicker filter for interlaced modes. Now your interlaced modes will look perfectly sharp, with all their genuine flicker intact.
- [VMMaker] Fixed bug that caused CRT Emudriver not being detected under Windows XP.
- [VMMaker] Added new preset for 15/31 kHz dual-sync monitor.
[03/03/2017][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 10]
- [VMMaker] Added option to include multiple modelines in emulated EDID. When enabled, the current modelist is added to the EDID definition (maximum of 20 modes supported). If disabled, only a 640x480 modeline will be included, as usual.
- [VMMaker] Fixed bug that caused newer video cards to be incorrectly detected as legacy ones.
[08/02/2016][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 9]
- [Emudriver] New driver packages based on Crimson 16.2.1. Lots of new AMD GPUs & APUs supported.
- [Arcade OSD] Changes to correctly apply polarities and refresh with Crimson drivers.
- [VMMaker] New commands available from the application's console, to allow manual management of the mode list, etc. Type "help" for details.
[01/02/2016][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 8]
- [Emudriver] Fixed bug in Setup preventing the driver from getting installed depending on the location of the installation files.
[26/01/2016][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 7]
- [Emudriver] Forced reset of interleave flag upon device power-up. Fixes problem with ATOM-15 flashed cards that caused a shrinked picture with progressive modes and double picture with interlaced modes.
[23/01/2016][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 6]
- [Emudriver] Fixed critical bug in driver that caused the system to get frozen randomly upon display device restart.
- [Arcade OSD] Correctly assign sync polarity to AMD HD 5000+ cards. Because AMD documentation is wrong, VMMaker where assigning the polarities the wrong way. This must be the direct cause of most out-of-sync issues reported till now. What happened is that GM assigned positive sync instead of negative, and vice versa. This is fixed now, but you'll need to update your crt_range definitions. By default, negative sync (0) is what should be used in most cases. Thanks to intealls for doing proper checks with an oscilloscope and R-Typer for double-checking.
- [VMMaker] ATI legacy: now interlaced modes are reported with full refresh (not halved) in W7+. This should solve problems with games that use a hardcoded 60 Hz refresh.
- [VMMaker] Better alignment of modeline generator to GroovyMAME's.
- [Arcade OSD] Fixed Powerstrip support.
[07/01/2016][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 5]
- [Emudriver] Added missing dlls for ADL library (thanks to Fonki for reporting). Issue affected HD 5xxx and newer cards. It caused VMMaker not recognizing the driver.
- [VMMaker] Fixed problem that forced custom modes to be 32-bit only. Solves issue with ZSNES and probably others. (thanks to tom5151 for reporting).
[05/01/2016][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 4]
- [Emudriver] Fixed installation in Windows 10, still may show a BSOD on install buf after that it seems to work (thanks to R-Typer).
- [VMMaker] Ati legacy: fixed polarity settings. This reverts the fix for halved refresh & interlaced modes from beta 1.
- [VMMaker] Ati legacy: new option to "Extend desktop automatically on device restart". Meant to help users during monitor setup. (to be improved)
- [VMMaker] Ati legacy: now desktop layout is preseved after device restart (to be improved).
[02/01/2016][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 3]
- [Emudriver] Fixed mixed-up file version in beta 2, probable cause of installation issues. Now the drivers will be recognized as version 12.6.
- [Emudriver] Added fix for certain modes being reported as "native".
- [VMMaker] Version properly reported in window caption.
[31/12/2015][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 2]
- [Emudriver] Fixed OpenGL support.
[30/12/2015][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 1]
- [Emudriver] Added support for AMD HD 5000/6000/7000 series (Catalyst 12.8)
- [Emudriver] Forced monitor detection for ATI legacy cards (HD 2000/3000/4000 series)
[Arcade OSD] Rewritten. Now both tools are built on top of a new shared video library.
[Arcade OSD] Added support for AMD HD 5000/6000/7000 series (Catalyst 12.8)
- [VMMaker] New graphic user interface. Most options are now managed through a new settings dialog. Support for typed commands.
- [VMMaker] ATI legacy cards: fixed halved refresh of interlaced modes on vsync.
- [VMMaker] AMD 5000/6000/7000: new EDID emulation feature, allows arcade monitors and CRT TVs to be detected as normal monitors under Windows.
- [VMMaker] Full implementation of GroovyMAME's "crt_range" monitor presets.
- [VMMaker] Automatic exportation of monitor settings to GroovyMAME.
- [VMMaker] Automatic selection of minimum dotclock.
- [VMMaker] Automatic selection of maximum number of modes.
- [VMMaker] Dynamic mode list installation without rebooting (Windows 7/8/10).
- [VMMaker] Support for importing/exporting raw modeline lists.
- [Arcade OSD] Copy/paste timings to/from clipboard.
Some notes about the new composite sync feature
- Just like any other feature, composite sync support can be enabled independently for boot time (BIOS mod with ATOM-15) and for Windows (with VMMaker).
- In order to enable composite sync right from boot, you have to check the corresponding option in ATOM-15 and flash your video card with the modified BIOS. Composite sync will be applied to all available outputs, so that's something you may need to consider depending on your setup.
- Regarding Windows, first of all, an important warning: enabling composite sync may be a tricky business. Even if you know what you're doing chances are you get into a messed video state at some point of the process. Once you get everything right it should work fine forever, you just need to get there. I recommend to always work with two monitors during the process and only enable composite sync to the secondary monitor (the one you're not working with) so in case anything goes wrong you don't get an unusable display. If anything went wrong and you can't find your way around a messed display, you can boot in same mode and uninstall the driver.
- There's a new button in VMMaker's video card tab that allows you to toggle composite sync for the currently selected output.
- Again, HD 5000+ cards are easier to setup for composite sync than legacy ones. Just enable composite sync for the selected output, create the modes and you're done.
- Legacy (pre HD 5000 cards) need some extra steps in order to get correct composite sync:
· First, to get consistent composite sync behaviour for legacy cards you must update CRT Emudriver (based on 12.6) to the new beta 12 version (this is not required for HD 5000+ cards).
· You must set both H and V sync polarities to positive for all modes. So after enabling composite sync, you must generate and install all modes again, but first you need to go to the monitor tab to edit your selected monitor preset and modify it with the proper polarities, e.g.:
monitor "arcade_15", "Arcade 15.7 kHz - standard resolution", "4:3"
crt_range0 15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 1, 1, 192, 288, 448, 576
· Finally, still in VMMaker make sure to mark "Export settings to GroovyMAME" in MAME's tab so the correct polarities are used by GroovyMAME.
- If you're using an VGA to BNC cable, remind that composite sync is ouput through the h-sync cable, so if you're using a T connector, unplug the v-sync cable.