Topic: S-Video/TV-Out still viable on HD4000 with EMUDriver?

I've got something of a niche question. I have a couple of HD4000 GPUs with 7-pin mini-DIN outputs (HD 4670 and HD 4350 from XFX to be specific).

I want to use CRT EMUDriver so I can use these cards to connect to my CRT television via S-Video on a Windows 10 system. Is this possible or do I have to use the DVI output in this application? Will super resolutions still work via the mini-DIN?

My goal is to avoid using a transcoder to convert to S-Video.

I'd hoped to "just try it" but I have a rather decent CRT and I'm scared of damaging it. I'm sure I'm being overly cautious but most CRTs that show up locally are way more than I can pay, and I haven't been able to find a cheap set with S-Video input to test this arrangement.

Re: S-Video/TV-Out still viable on HD4000 with EMUDriver?

Hi Haze,

First question is if your CRT can take RGB. If so, then you definitely have to use DVI-I to RGB.

If RGB isn't an option, next best situation would be component video, by using an RGB to component transcoder.

But you're probably aware of this and simply want to use S-video. Well, the problem with S-video is that this output has its own implementation path inside the hardware, that wasn't done with custom modes in mind. Basically, when using the S-video (TV-out) output on a video card, all is scaled/stretched into a single standard PAL/NTSC mode. So there's no point in using CRT Emudriver in the case.

Unrelated but important: if you're going to use CRT Emudriver on a Windows 10 setup, you'll have a better experience with an HD 5000/6000 card (DirectX 11 card). Pre-HD 5000 cards had poor support for the new driver model.

3 (edited by Haze 2022-08-09 13:44:05)

Re: S-Video/TV-Out still viable on HD4000 with EMUDriver?

Hello Calamity,

Thank you kindly for your response and insight. It should have occurred to me that the min-DIN on these cards have their own implementation and are not much connected to the activities the rest of the system is undertaking. I sent a small donation as a token of my appreciation. Your dedication to these projects is much appreciated!

Unfortunately, my set lacks RGB inputs, so S-Video is the best I can manage until a better set comes my way. I do have a VGA-to-S-Video/Component transcoder, I was just hoping not to need it.

Luckily, the 480i S-Video output on the card is perfect for my current application, assuming lag isn't an issue. I was hoping that lower resolutions would still be useable via the mini-DIN in the event I wanted to emulate such games that would require them in the future. That being said, I have an HD 7750 and the aforementioned transcoder for better performance and compatibility in Windows 10 should the occasion arise.

It seems that the part I was missing is that there is an official AMD driver for these legacy cards for Windows 10. Earlier today, after reading your post, I rebuilt the system and managed to get everything functioning appropriately.

For those who may be reading in the future, here's an excerpt from the AMD website:

Article Number
RN-RAD-WIN-LEGACY

ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization in October, 2013.

And

Driver support for these products under Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 is only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update to allow it to automatically detect and install display driver version 8.970.100.9001

(From: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/relea … win-legacy)

For whatever reason, Windows Update did not find these drivers when I installed the card initially (using the "Generic Display Adapter" drivers instead), but did find the driver when I did a clean install of Windows 10 with the card already installed in the system. Even then, the first attempt failed but was successful after the second attempt.

I tested the card via the DVI-I port with my monitor, and it is performing as expected. While I haven't tested the on-board S-Video output yet, I'm pretty pleased that it seems my issue was never really a problem at all.

EDIT: Just tried the S-Video output on my CRT TV and it's working as intended.