Topic: Saving edited modelines

Hello Calamity,
as you probably remember i’m stuck with ArcadeOSD crashing in Win7 64bit while it runs perfectly with Win10. Unfortunately several emus have problems with Win10 so I prefer using Win7. Some quick questions: is there a way to add a single modeline to an existing set (editing registry if necessary). If this is not advisable, is there a function for saving the whole set of modelines in a txt file after manual editing? (necessary to adjust/centering each resolution on screen). Also, do you know which could be the quickest way to check resolutions without using ArcadeOSD test? I mean a small software changing resolution and displaying a box or some lines to help adjusting screen? Unfortunately after having modelines automatically generated, each resolution needs a reasonable quantity of manual tuning before having percectly centered image in full scrren with no black borders. Thanks.

Re: Saving edited modelines

Hi icemac,

Before wasting energies in a suboptimal solution, will you test this new beta? For me, it's a priority to fix this bug.

Sure! do you refer to beta 14? what should I test, more specifically?

I mean the one linked in my previous posts (move the mouse cursor over the text).

5 (edited by icemac 2018-11-22 15:26:57)

Sorry I was reading your reply on mobile... in fact I suspected I was missing something... Replaced ArcadeOSD with the new one.

Windows 7 64bit
Runs perfectly, no more errors!

Selecting resolutions with return, test mode, editing, saving resolutions: all fine!! thank you for your effort!

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
run normal (clicking .exe) or run in compatibility mode (Windows 7):
not properly working

ArcadeOSD starts, selecting a resolution and pressing 1/Enter the screen stays black for 5-6 seconds without error messages, then returns to resolution list
Selecting "test" from horizontal or vertical settings does nothing. ArcadeOSD stays in  menu. No freezing, no crashing.

run in compatibility mode Windows 7 + run as administrator
ArcadeOSD RUNS CORRECTLY
A small "lag" (5-6 seconds with black screen) is noticeable after selecting resolutions or entering test mode from submenus.

In windows 7 this delay is almost undetectable, far shorter.

Great! Thanks for testing.

The error under Windows 10 is expected. Next version will probably implement Direct3D instead of the deprecated DirectDraw.

I was worried about Windows 7, it's nice that it's fixed.

Let me know if you still need any information about your first post.

7 (edited by icemac 2018-11-29 14:39:28)

Yes, I still would like to know if there is a way to export modelines in a txt after having edited them to my needs (as a backup). This would be useful when I want to add some new res to the set or when i want to experiment new custom res

icemac wrote:

Yes, I still would like to know if there is a way to export modelines in a txt after having edited them to my needs (as a backup). This would be useful when I want to add some new res to the set or when i want to experiment new custom res

Yes, this is actually very easy to do.

So, let's say you have already tweaked some modelines via Arcade OSD, and you want to save those modes for future use.

Launch VMMaker, select Settings->Video card. Use the button "Import modes from driver". This will load all installed modelines to the program's memory. Now, use the button "Export modes to file". That's all.

If later on you want to restore your saved modes, use the button "Import modes from file", and then just "Install modes" as usual.

Oooh! Fantastic! I didn’t realize I could save resolutions this way! I appreciate your help very much!