1 (edited by gilius 2014-11-27 22:26:55)

Topic: Radeon HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx 15kHz on Linux

Is there a way to get any of those HD 6xxx or 5xxx cards to output 15kHz on Linux?. Maybe xrandr or something else?

I don't know if this is the right place for this question and Google won't seem to give me a straight answer.

EDIT: I don't know if that seems like a rhetorical question, I can surely tell you guys I don't know the answer! And I didn't call you Shirley ;)

I just asked, because I needed to make a shopping decision. All there was available were those models and somebody was buying one for me. Alas, I had to tell her to forget about the card, because I wasn't sure if I could pull the 15kHz rabbit out of one of those bitches.

All Google told me was shit about AVGA and the usual models supported by CRT Emudriver but at some places, some people seemed to me to be suggesting that on Linux it was possible to pull that trick (whatever the method was), if you had a Radeon card. But they didn't specify if it were all of them or just one of the same old fart cards I read about.

I hope that cleared that out.

Cheers.

Re: Radeon HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx 15kHz on Linux

Hi Gilius,

Yes, both HD 5xxx and HD 6xxx cards can output 15 kHz under Linux. There are already built distros like Groovy Arcade that contain the required patches to allow 15 kHz for Radeon cards, including newer models than the ones supported by CRT Emudriver. So if you're only planning to use Linux, you can safely buy one of those. My recommendation however is to go for one of the basic models, like the HD 5450 or HD 6450 (I've succesfully used both, from Asus). If you decide for some fancy model it should work as well but Groovy Arcade may find it more difficult to map the outputs if their layout is somewhat unusual.

The good news are you can use ATOM-15 with those cards as well.