1 (edited by Recap 2014-12-21 23:04:39)

Topic: M2 Emulator crash

Hi,
I'm not sure if you support this, or only groovymame... but m2emulator (sega model 2 emulator) crashes when trying to launch any game in windows 7 64bit with crt_emudriver installed. I troubleshooted the emulator settings themselves.. i think only thing left now that could cause it is the fact that crt_emudrivers are used. Did someone get this emulator to work while using crt_emudriver?

Patrick

Re: M2 Emulator crash

I myself haven't tried, but most likely it doesn't support custom video modes? Model 2 was 24-kHz. Which mode are you trying to set for full screen and which modes do you have installed in your system via VMM?

Please, be more informative when making this kind of questions. Also, please, capitalize proper nouns. Thanks.

Hi.
I tried to choose 640x480, and I also tried 640x240 (60p) via custom resolution in the INI file of M2 Emulator.
Still got the crash.
I do see in Arcade_OSD still no Interlaced resolutions available. So I cannot see '640x480 60i' for example in the list. My Windows 7 desktop resolution however is at "640x480 30hz (Interlaced)".
Thank you
Patrick

Then it looks like you should be asking again here: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/v … php?id=259 ?

Also, make sure you've read how to add custom video modes with VMM: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/v … .php?id=46

Nebula emulator by the same author wasn't exactly custom mode-friendly, if I recall. Is there a reason why you're not using MAME instead of M2 Emulator? I believe MAME's driver is also by him.

I've been testing the M2 Emulator today and it works flawlessly here with W7 + CRT Emudriver.

At first it complained about d3dx9_42.dll being missing. Installing "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)" fixed the problem.

I launched Daytona to test, first using the default desktop resolution of 640x480@60i. Then created its native 24 kHz mode with VMMaker, 496x384@57.52, selected it in the emulator's ini and working great.

That's good to know. Though I'm not sure about its overall accuracy against MAME. Both are uncompleted, that's for sure.

Recap wrote:

That's good to know. Though I'm not sure about its overall accuracy against MAME. Both are uncompleted, that's for sure.

Oh, I forgot to mention, MAME can't even run these games yet ("not working" status).

Hi Calamity,
Thanks for confirming that it works... on my machine, windowed mode of M2 emulator work fine, but as soon as I switch to fullscreen mode, it crashes...

so it's definately a "resolution" problem... How do you make M2 emulator to pick another resolution than your desktop resolution than? I already tried installing directx but that did not help.

And you are right, I first tried to run House Of the Dead in mame, but that is not working at all, so that's why I want to run M2 emulator on my cab...

How do you make M2 emulator to pick another resolution than your desktop resolution?

You need to edit the full screen resolution options in the emulator's .ini file. Then in the emulator itself, full screen options, select the "custom" one.

You probably won't be able to pick an interlaced mode however, because these are marked as unsupported when monitor detection fails (your case, as far as I see).

What I'd do is to create a progressive mode with the maximum height that's possible for 57.52 Hz. 256p will be good, it's 0.6666 x 384, and it will keep H-freq below 16.2 kHz, so  try: 496 x 256 @ 57.52

Yes, you are correct... all "interlaced" modes are marked as unsupported :(

Is this typical for Windows 7? If this would work better in Windows XP, I might thinking of going back to XP...

Patrick

Please, keep the interlaced mode issues within this thread: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/v … php?id=259

There's no need to spread it elsewhere.

Calamity wrote:

What I'd do is to create a progressive mode with the maximum height that's possible for 57.52 Hz. 256p will be good, it's 0.6666 x 384, and it will keep H-freq below 16.2 kHz, so  try: 496 x 256 @ 57.52

Does the emulator really downscale it to 256 lines? Normally, it would just crop the picture, wouldn't it?